Saturday, June 16, 2007

Please Understand Me


If I don't want what you want, please try not to tell me my want is wrong. Or if I believe other than you, at least pause before you correct my view.

I do not, for the moment at least, ask you to understand me. That will come only when you are willing to give up changing me into a carbon copy of you.

I may be your spouse, your parent, your offspring, your friend, your customer, or your colleague.

To put up with me is the first step to understanding me. Not that you embrace my ways as right for you, but that you are no longer irritated or disappointed with me for my seeming waywardness. Then, in understanding me, you might come to prize my differences, and, instead of trying to change me, preserve and even nurture those differences.

1 comment: